Zion Canyon 2011

Zion Canyon 2011
Zion Revisited 2011

How To Approach an Ultra or Ironman

Jordan Rapp quote sums it up!

This Jordan Rapp quote sums it up.
"It's about the process. It doesn't matter what you do tomorrow and it doesn't matter what you did yesterday. It's about today, and making today count. That's especially true in training, but it's the same mentality that I carry into racing. Focus on the task at hand, not on the finish line, or the next part of the race, but what it is that is right there in front of you in the moment."





Thursday, December 9, 2010

2010-The Year in Review

I don't even know where to start. I guess with the weight loss back in November 2008. It sure felt good finishing near the front rather than the middle, I should have done this years ago. My first race of 2010 was the Seaton Trail 52K in April. I finished 7th overall, completely new territory for me. My splits were
1st 26k-2:50
2nd 26K-2:52

So that set up the year, I really like running skinny!
Here's to 2010
 I think Dora found Brownie's Blog in late 2009 and passed it along to me. At that time, I didn't even know what a blog was. For me, it was like redemption, you could drink like a fish and still do pretty well at trail running. Which is nice. It inspired me to start this blog, so friends, family and even some people I've never met (but share interests with) could keep up with our races and check out some primal recipes.
  This other blog by Scott Dunlap inspired me to learn how to run with a camera, he's one of the top trail runners in the USA, but he still stops to take photos!
  Anyhow, after the Seaton Trail 52k in April,  my next goal was to run my first sub 40:00 10k. That was accomplished at the Sporting Life 10k on May 2nd, with a 39:14. Funny thing, I could have done it a few years earlier, but got stuck behind a crowd with a few hundred yards to go! And I weighed 185lbs back then, so I knew I had it in me.
   So this set up Tennessee, our first stage run, 60 miles of trails in 3 days, up and down 3 mountains, near 100˚F and 100% humidity. I won the 50+ category, and stayed with Cyrus most of the 3 days. Good times. Road trip of the year. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Checking out the Civil War area was great, and the people were unbelievably friendly to us "Northerners".
It's Not the Heat, It's the Humility. No ,it's the heat. Tennessee,June,2010

  That set up Ironman Canada in August. What can I say, my first, and I loved it! I do wish I'd trained more, but Tennessee wouldn't let me. Almost all of my bike and swimming was after Tennessee, so I only had 2+ months to train. I'm doing another Ironman in 2013, (age 55-59) prolly Ironman St. George, in Utah or Ironman Louisville, in Kentucky.
Forgot beer for the finish. Doh.

  Next up we had the Vulture Bait 50k Oct. 17th as a training run for The Bobcat Trail Marathon on Nov 7th. I had never broken 5 hours for a 50k, but did so at VB in 2010- 4:56:28.
Ladies, thanks for coming out!

The largest gathering of Pylons all year was at Vulture Bait.
That's a Lot of Orange at Vulture Bait 2010 London Ontario Canada (left to right is Beaver,Captain,Swiss,Ed (formerly Sub) Phantom,Digger,Cyrus)



After that it was The Bobcat Trail Marathon in Ohio. Sure it was cold, and it was bow hunting season, and there were a few problems with the course markings, but the stories and effort were worth it. The 2nd best road trip of 2010, what can I say?

Not Good

So, 2010, at age 52, after 30 years of running as a "heavy" person I did;

April-     52K-PB      5:42:32, 7th overall, unheard of.
May-      10k PB-      39:14
June-      60 Mile      10:51:57  1st 50+
August - Ironman PB-11:50:23
Oct'-     50K PB        4:56:28
 And cooked a Bacon Explosion!

Thank's  Pylons for a GREAT year in 2010, and I am certainly looking forward to kicking all your asses in 2011! No injuries allowed.

Digger

2 comments: