Zion Canyon 2011

Zion Canyon 2011
Zion Revisited 2011

How To Approach an Ultra or Ironman

Jordan Rapp quote sums it up!

This Jordan Rapp quote sums it up.
"It's about the process. It doesn't matter what you do tomorrow and it doesn't matter what you did yesterday. It's about today, and making today count. That's especially true in training, but it's the same mentality that I carry into racing. Focus on the task at hand, not on the finish line, or the next part of the race, but what it is that is right there in front of you in the moment."





Thursday, June 10, 2010

Last Back to Back Long Runs Before Tennessee

So, I've officially started my Taper after doing 4:11 in the ravine on Tuesday, followed by, due to bad weather, 3 hours on the treadmill (elev +2) Wednesday. While on the treadmill, I watched "Miller's Crossing" as well as two episodes of "America's Got Talent". Even so, the ravine is always more interesting.
   Like Tuesday, for instance. First off, I ran into Dora's good friend Alistair, who is an Ontario Ultra Series multi-time winner and record holder for a few of the 50K courses.He was running 5 hours to get ready for a 58k run on Mt. Tremblant in Quebec. Even so, he paced me to a PB on my second loop by 3 minutes.And he had already been running 3+ hours. Doh. At least it means I'm running well, relatively speaking.
Next up, I ran into what I assume are some G-20 protesters warming up in the ravine. There's something you don't see every day.
Hey, even G-20 protesters have to make pit stops.There's another guy on stilts about 30 feet ahead trying to hide in the trees.
Here come some more.This is why I always have my camera!

Thorncliff Waterfall before it rains..........
  And after. On August 19th,2005, the whole valley flooded after a bad storm, the river rose over the railway bridges. Damage can still be seen.You can see read about it and see photos here.


Hey, I got a new blister in the triathlon. No socks.
And finally, a new product I'm testing, Udo's Oil. It's Omega fats, supposed to help recovery. We shall see.


I also have a case of Vespa on the way from Jack Cook in Edmonton. He is another  Primal (paleo) eating endurance athlete,  and a multi-time winner of the Canadian Death Race. He owns this running store in Edmonton. More and more ultra runners seem to be going the way of the caveman.

2 comments:

  1. i've been using udo's for about a month now. my buddy at the health store recommended it. and i've been eating more meat/fat/veggies the past month - no pasta, bread, etc, and am managing to get leaner. pretty sure the crossfit is helping! still binge on cookies though (hehe) AND still on the fence for tennessee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dora;
    That's a tough call on Tennessee, you know it will be a blast but I also know you would be disappointed if you didn't do a good job of it. Hopefully you can make it, we leave tomorrow!
    I'm not sure if the Udo's is making a difference,I am trying it because I'm usually stiff and sore in the morning until I've been up and walking around for a while. I've only been on it a couple of weeks. Can you feel any improvement?
    Nothing wrong with binging on cheat day,I love cheat day.I find if I binge eat bad carbs,like a bag of chips, I crave more bad carbs, so I try to avoid them except for cheat day. Good job on the diet, you are looking lean.
    Curling party tonight,steak,salad,beer.

    ReplyDelete