Zion Canyon 2011

Zion Canyon 2011
Zion Revisited 2011

How To Approach an Ultra or Ironman

Jordan Rapp quote sums it up!

This Jordan Rapp quote sums it up.
"It's about the process. It doesn't matter what you do tomorrow and it doesn't matter what you did yesterday. It's about today, and making today count. That's especially true in training, but it's the same mentality that I carry into racing. Focus on the task at hand, not on the finish line, or the next part of the race, but what it is that is right there in front of you in the moment."





Sunday, September 18, 2011

Terry Fox Run 2011 and Then Things Take a Turn For the Wurst




 Terry Fox was my age (22) back back in 1980 when he did his Marathon Of Hope. All due respect to Mr. Karnazas, Terry ran a marathon every day for 143 consecutive days, 3339 miles, on one leg. I guess the story is well known enough that I don't need to recap it.
  Anyway, today Portage, our friend Kathy, and me ran the 30th Terry Fox 10k. It was all about raising money for cancer research, last year they raised about $460,000 from our little area here in Toronto (4,000 runners), and they hoped to beat that this year. I'm pretty sure they did!
Wilket Creek


Portage gets warm in the sun. It was 5˚C this a.m.

Brad and Angelina are in town for TIFF. Whoops, wait a tick, that's me and Portage.





Cancer survivor Neil Crone from "Little Mosque on the Prairie" gives a speech. "I thank you all from the bottom of my colon.."

Warming up.

The three girls at the front are Canadian Team Rugby players.They even brought their ball.


The crowd grows as the start approaches.


Enjoying the day as it warms up.

Bring it!! Kathy wonders if it's wrong to want a beer at 10:00a.m.



Kathy's Kick!


Christina and Nina from "The Girl"'s soccer team ran. Nina's parents and little sister ran as well.

Home stretch

Ice Cream truck parks on the course. Nice. Where's the beer cart?

That's what we were looking for.

Great shot.I wish I could have met him.



BBQ corn on the cob. I don't eat that, but the girls said it was great.


The "Who Are You Running For" wall.




 So that's it from the Terry Fox run.I have to mention the amazing volunteers, the great food (all beef hot dogs, turkey and cheese wraps, mars bars, chips, drinks, fruits of any kind , bbq'd corn on the cob ) and the dedication of the organizers. There is no entry fee, you just donate what you can and run. I don't know how they do it, there was unlimited treats and food. Issy Sharp, the founder of the Four Seasons Hotel Chain, deserves a lot of credit, this is his baby. 

  And now for something completely different. Below is a photo from the recent World Championship  5,000 metre final. These guys aren't machines, and definitely have rivalries and personalities. 
Oops, I kicked your ass again. Click on the Photo for a closer look.

 So, Portage and I have been hearing great things about a new restaurant downtown called "Wvurst", pronounced "Worst". But it was the Bvest.
My famous awkward pose.

Photo of the interior, taken through the bottom of my beer glass.

Wall of Activity. One day until Octoberfest!

Portage likes the dark stuff.

One Maple, Blueberry Bison Dog, One Duck Pate Dog,  and one large order of Duck Fat fries.

Love the countdown.
  So, "Wvurst" was great, a return trip is in order.

  Next up, a trip to Italy is always exciting, even more so when your airline names the day you are supposed to leave as their "Strike Deadline"! DOH.
 And the Wolverines are 3-0! Do I see a national championship? Too bad about Pitt.

No comments:

Post a Comment