Zion Canyon 2011

Zion Canyon 2011
Zion Revisited 2011

How To Approach an Ultra or Ironman

Jordan Rapp quote sums it up!

This Jordan Rapp quote sums it up.
"It's about the process. It doesn't matter what you do tomorrow and it doesn't matter what you did yesterday. It's about today, and making today count. That's especially true in training, but it's the same mentality that I carry into racing. Focus on the task at hand, not on the finish line, or the next part of the race, but what it is that is right there in front of you in the moment."





Wednesday, September 7, 2011

So They Sent Her Home From the Hospital With a Box of Rubber Gloves and Some K-Y Jelly.........

 I'm trying to eat my burger at the Halifax airport, and I hear this rant coming from behind the bar. Now I'm intrigued. What could I do but listen in? Needless to say, my years of training eating at firehalls* paid off, as I didn't lose my appetite. I sure hope no one else had big ears!
My Airport Burger. Very nice.

   I am excited about returning home now that The Boy is settled at school, and so I got up at dawn for my epic run. I wasn't sure how long it would take, so I took $20 in case I had to stop for food. Turns out it's not as far as it looks from my hotel window.
Nice fountain I passed on the way to the MacDonald Bridge.

Beautiful old building in Halifax.

My quest.To run across this bridge into Dartmouth. Unfortunately, the trail passes under the bridge.

I came up from under the bridge and hopped a barrier to get onto the path.

One side of the bridge is for bikes, one for pedestrians.

I believe that is a Destroyer getting pulled into a dock by a tugboat.

Things are looking up.

View from the top

Destroyer is now almost parked as I near Dartmouth.

Nice suicide fence.

Coming into Dartmouth.

Now I gotta run back to Halifax.Doh.

What's in that pipe? Anyone?

I L.O.L.'d at this, spray painted at the top of the bridge. Go ahead.....

That's my hotel in the middle, taken from near the top of the bridge on my way back to Halifax.
The new speed skating oval they are constructing and the MacDonald Bridge are visible from my hotel room. It wasn't as far away as I thought. The area around the base of the bridge is not very nice, it has it's own "community police station" in one of the apartment complexes. Not good.
That's the MacDonald Bridge, taken from my hotel room.You can also see the oval.
Here are some cool facts about the Long Track Speed Skating Oval.

This is a new speed skating oval they are building. Right across the street from where The Boy and me stayed.

We had the strangest elevator. We were on the 11th floor, and the elevator said "7" when it meant "11".
I love Halifax, I just wish it had been a family trip with more time. There are bars and restaurants everywhere, and a really nice downtown area. Next year, the plan is for the four of us to drive out to P.E.I., drop The Girl off for her 1st year at UPEI, then back through Halifax to drop The Boy off for his 3rd year at Dalhousie.That sounds fun.
Zoom in on the bridge

Zoom in on the oval

One of the best beers I had out there was Propeller Bitter. Here's the brewery!

* A common fire hall practice is to test the new guys to see how strong their stomachs are. We had an older fella who would secretly peel a green grape, then stick it in his nose. He would then go sit beside the "Probie" at lunch or dinner, "sneeze"the peeled grape out of his nose, pick it up and eat it. If the Probie kept eating , he passed.

No comments:

Post a Comment