Zion Canyon 2011

Zion Canyon 2011
Zion Revisited 2011

How To Approach an Ultra or Ironman

Jordan Rapp quote sums it up!

This Jordan Rapp quote sums it up.
"It's about the process. It doesn't matter what you do tomorrow and it doesn't matter what you did yesterday. It's about today, and making today count. That's especially true in training, but it's the same mentality that I carry into racing. Focus on the task at hand, not on the finish line, or the next part of the race, but what it is that is right there in front of you in the moment."





Friday, September 2, 2011

Next Up- I Marathon, 3 States.Training Log. This and That.

Monument Valley
  The Mesquite Marathon is my next race, coming up on November 19th. It's unique in that we will be running through three states. It will start in Utah, and run a straight route through Arizona and back to the finish in Nevada at the CasaBlanca Hotel. Pretty cool, no?
The Three State Route- Point to point. We are bussed from Mesquite to Utah, the marathon starts in Utah, down Hwy 91 through Arizona, and finishes back in Mesquite, Nevada.

 It looks like Captain, Beaver and me are doing the road marathon, Meanie is doing the half-marathon and Portage is doing the 10K. I am hoping for a PB and a Boston qualifier (3:40), which should be no problem. What could go wrong? I wouldn't run the Boston Marathon though, but I could brag that I qualified. I think in April 2012 we might be doing the "Don't Run Boston Trail 50 Mile & 50K". It happens the day before the big race, but should be more fun. We could hang around and watch the marathon the next day.
  A few of the Pylons are running Vulture Bait in October, but I couldn't get the day off work. In 1 year, 1 month and 29 days, that won't be a problem anymore.
Updated Training Log For 2011
Jan-120 miles
Feb-129 miles
March-204 miles
April-69 miles (rib injury)
May-117 miles(rib injury)
June-79 miles (achillies and knee injuries)
July-195 miles (finally feeling good!)
August-196 miles
As of the end of August 2010-1110 miles
As at the end of July 2011-1109 miles
Pretty weird, only 1 mile difference.

  Here's 2 cool shots of Portage and her friend Kathy "Bringing It" at the end of the Ladies Own 10K last weekend.
Eye of the Tiger

Just about there....
 And finally, what a fast summer that was! My year started well, but was pretty messed up after I fell and cracked my ribs in April. I never really got in the shape I wanted, but I feel like after finishing my first 50 miler, and if I get a pb in the marathon in November, I'll have to call 2011 a successful year.
 On Monday, The Boy and me are off to Halifax to get him settled at University. We are having a huge "Paleo Hot Wing" party for him on Saturday night. He doesn't really need me to go with him, but I have a mission, and it involves the supposed best burger in the maritmes, the Peanut Butter Burger at "Darrels."
That's "The Boy" on the right.I believe that finger gesture stands for "And the horse you rode in on".
Gonna miss that guy until Christmas.


No comments:

Post a Comment