Zion Canyon 2011

Zion Canyon 2011
Zion Revisited 2011

How To Approach an Ultra or Ironman

Jordan Rapp quote sums it up!

This Jordan Rapp quote sums it up.
"It's about the process. It doesn't matter what you do tomorrow and it doesn't matter what you did yesterday. It's about today, and making today count. That's especially true in training, but it's the same mentality that I carry into racing. Focus on the task at hand, not on the finish line, or the next part of the race, but what it is that is right there in front of you in the moment."





Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Weather Has Been Too Nice To Blog!

What a week, hot and sunny everyday. I am desperate to get my mileage up after the rib and achillies injuries.So it was a good week, 66 miles, but I need a couple of days rest. My pathetic training journal looks like this;
Jan-120 miles
Feb-129 miles
March-204 miles
April-69 miles (Injured ribs April 17th)
May-117 miles
June-79 miles (sore achillies all month)
So July is off to a good start, I'm hoping for 250+ miles.
Some photos, a few from The Girl and me in Prince Edward Island. We were checking out the University there in Charlottetown. Only 4500 students. Cool.
The University of PEI
Crabby's is Famous
First Lobster of the trip. Very good. Last day of lobster fishing was June 30th.
The Girl is camera shy.
Stoopid Jellyfish. They sting and are impossible to avoid if you're swimming.

The best mussels on the trip, from this little crab shack on a dock.
The owner's dog, mooching mussels.
Handyman Special
Greenwich Beach, PEI.
Last day of lobstering meant the traps were piled high on the docks.
A lobster boat with a cool name.
 We stayed out of downtown most of the day, it was crazy due to the hype about Kate and William. Traffic jams everywhere.
These are large sand dunes
A Razor Clam spurts water
Best Burger. Hunter's's Ale House. Triple 7 ounce patties.Huge.
That's the best I could do. I did finish that huge beer though.
As we flew home, we got a photo of the Confederation Bridge, which connects PEI to New Brunswick.
So about that Primal Challenge. I had two great days, then we had the Pylons over for a run on Wednesday night. I worked hard around the house all day doing chores, and just sat down with a beer when Cyrus and Beaver showed up (30 minutes early). Then 9 more Pylons showed up and we had the largest gathering in recent memory. It seems they all brought beer or cookies, or banana bread, or wine,or almonds, or something else. We then went for a 1+ hour run and the lads crushed it. I haven't run that fast for a very long time.
 So I guess what I'm saying is that perhaps July/August isn't the best time for me to attempt the 30 day challenge, as copious amounts of beer are definitely not allowed. Maybe I'll try it again in January/February. So I'm out for now. I did last two whole days though, which is pretty good for me.
Back to 80/20%. I know, I'm weak.
Aerial shot of the Pylons.Alphabetically, we had Beaver, Captain, Crumbs, Cyrus, Digger, Eddie, Graham, Ladies Man, Phantom, Pointer, Ray and Swiss.

The pain. Very sore the next morning. No gold star on this day.
The Pylons were going so fast, I only got this one pitcher. Crumbs is asking Beaver to please try and keep up...........

 So the training for Eddie, Captain, Ray and me goes on for our next race. Right now, I gotta hit the shower after just doing a tough 3 hour run with Phantom and Dora (who brought me beer from her running trip to Alaska).
She is tapering for the very tough Fat Dog 100 in two weeks. Go get 'em Dora!

No comments:

Post a Comment