Zion Canyon 2011

Zion Canyon 2011
Zion Revisited 2011

How To Approach an Ultra or Ironman

Jordan Rapp quote sums it up!

This Jordan Rapp quote sums it up.
"It's about the process. It doesn't matter what you do tomorrow and it doesn't matter what you did yesterday. It's about today, and making today count. That's especially true in training, but it's the same mentality that I carry into racing. Focus on the task at hand, not on the finish line, or the next part of the race, but what it is that is right there in front of you in the moment."





Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The 30 Day Challenge-Day 1

1 for 1
  So I'm off to a good start. I ran 2.5 hours in the ravine with no gels, then drank water after instead of beer. It wasn't that bad. I was on a 24 hour fast, which is not hard to do if you eat a lot of fat/protein. At 5:00pm I had my first food since the supper the day before, a burger patty (no bun) with sauteed onions ,mayo, mustard and tomato with a dill pickle on the side. I meant to check my blood sugar* 2 hours after eating but forgot. Doh.
  I will try to pick up some ketosticxs just to confirm I'm in ketosis, but you can tell by your breath, it smells tinny or metallic, like a diabetic's.
  The trick to fast weight loss is to keep the blood sugar from rising or spiking (that's what carbs cause). You want to keep it low by eating fat and protein only, or let's say 90% of your diet. Your only carbs should be approved low GI veggies. Unfortunately for me, beer has 13 grams of carbs per can.
* I'm not diabetic, we have a blood glucose monitor for our diabetic dog. But it is made for humans too. My normal fasting blood sugar level is high, (around 6) another good excuse for me to eat low carb.

No comments:

Post a Comment