Zion Canyon 2011

Zion Canyon 2011
Zion Revisited 2011

How To Approach an Ultra or Ironman

Jordan Rapp quote sums it up!

This Jordan Rapp quote sums it up.
"It's about the process. It doesn't matter what you do tomorrow and it doesn't matter what you did yesterday. It's about today, and making today count. That's especially true in training, but it's the same mentality that I carry into racing. Focus on the task at hand, not on the finish line, or the next part of the race, but what it is that is right there in front of you in the moment."





Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Seaton Trail and Fate

Funny how things work out. I made a smart decision (in my mind) to skip the Seaton Trail 50 miler last weekend due to horrible weather conditions. As you can see, only 3 runners were able to finish.
There were 49 starters and 3 finishers. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been #4.
OK. So that was the "good decision". The next day, of course, the weather was fine,so, consumed by guilt for skipping my first 50 miler, I went for a long run in the ravine. Had I attempted the 50 miler, I wouldn't have run on  Sunday. Everything in the ravine was pretty wet from the downpour the day before, and here's where I made a tiny little "bad decision" that is likely going to cost me a month or more of running. There's a log ramp over a tree trunk, and I've gone over it lots of times. I'll get a photo of it next time I'm down there. It's just as easy to go around rather than over, but I guess I was feeling good, so I went for it. Anyhow, up one side,no problem, and down the other.... Uh,oh, zero traction on the down-slope and I go "Charlie Brown" again and land hard, hitting my back on the edge of the half-cut log.
  I managed the walk home after getting my breath back, and had x-rays done last Thursday. My Doctor's clinic was closed Friday-Tuesday due to Easter, so I find out tomorrow how bad things are.
It only hurts when I laugh, cough, hiccup or breath.
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment