Zion Canyon 2011

Zion Canyon 2011
Zion Revisited 2011

How To Approach an Ultra or Ironman

Jordan Rapp quote sums it up!

This Jordan Rapp quote sums it up.
"It's about the process. It doesn't matter what you do tomorrow and it doesn't matter what you did yesterday. It's about today, and making today count. That's especially true in training, but it's the same mentality that I carry into racing. Focus on the task at hand, not on the finish line, or the next part of the race, but what it is that is right there in front of you in the moment."





Saturday, April 16, 2011

All Revved Up With No Place To Go

 I think I am fully recovered from Glacier Ridge,  my legs are feeling pretty good. It was just beautiful yesterday, lots of sun and a bit cool. Too bad the Seaton Trail 50 Mile Run was today.
Pickering weather @10:00 a.m. And I wouldn't call that "light rain". No Global Warming here, Mr. Gore.
  So I stuck my head out the door this morning at 5:00 a.m. Not good, cold, very windy and lots of rain. Just a nasty looking day. The radio weatherman said it was actually going to get worse as the day went on, and a heavy rain advisory was in effect for the Greater Toronto region. So I made an executive decision. I got back into bed.
All packed. I was ready last night.
Call me a wimp, but
a) I did not want my "First Fifty" to be a 10+ hour suffer-fest.
b) I don't mind mud, but I hate running all day in rain, especially cold rain. I did that at "Run for the Toad" a few years ago. Never again (if I can help it).
c) I am a wimp
d) I was running solo (no other Pylons), so it was easy to back out. It's not like we were on a road trip or anything. Seaton Trail is a 40 minute drive from my house.
e) I registered late, so I wasn't even going to get a shirt that I couldn't wear.

  Any runner who finishes that 50 miler today has my utmost respect, that's for sure. I can't wait to see the results (I sure hope I'm not the only one who didn't show up!). I really feel for the volunteers. Sitting out there for 12+ hours in that?
  I can easily register for another 50 Miler, I am going to do at least one this year. Maybe I'll sign up for the "Dirty Girls" 12 hour race on August 6th, or Sulphur Springs 50 Miler on May 28th.
  On a happier note, Portage got a great shot of me going into the pool for the 1st time. The water temperature is 47˚F.
Out of the Hot, into the Cold. Looks like "Free Willy".
Anyhoo, the Sporting Life 10K is up next. Pacing Portage to sub 60:00. It better not be raining!

1 comment: