Zion Canyon 2011

Zion Canyon 2011
Zion Revisited 2011

How To Approach an Ultra or Ironman

Jordan Rapp quote sums it up!

This Jordan Rapp quote sums it up.
"It's about the process. It doesn't matter what you do tomorrow and it doesn't matter what you did yesterday. It's about today, and making today count. That's especially true in training, but it's the same mentality that I carry into racing. Focus on the task at hand, not on the finish line, or the next part of the race, but what it is that is right there in front of you in the moment."





Monday, September 13, 2010

Look Ma, I'm a Vegan! (But I eat Meat)

I just got my October 2010 Men's Journal magazine.They have an absolutely ludicrous article in this issue entitled "The Rise of the Power Vegan". I think that's two issues in a row they have been promoting veganism. Ladies and gentlemen, we have an agenda.They use Tony Gonzalez, NFL pro bowl tight end, as an example that a big strong guy can live a vegan lifestyle, but it turns out he eats lots of meat. As in animals. As in not a vegan, or even a vegetarian.
  They also quote T.Colin Campbell, a radical vegetarian disguising himself as a scientist. He is responsible for a book called "The China Study", a work of fiction taken as gospel by the vegan/vegetarian fringe.
  It really gets my blood boiling when I see such crap, they really outdid themselves with this one. Here's my letter to the editor, let's see if they publish it.

Wow. I can't believe Men's Journal had the guts to publish "The Rise of the Power Vegan" by Kevin Gray. Not many magazines would publish something so full of crap,no pun intended.
  Firstly, the articles"facts" seem to be based mainly on the thoroughly discredited "China Study" by T. Colin Campbell (See http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/07/07/the-china-study-fact-or-fallac/  for a start). Mr. Campbell's claim that a vegan's plant protein based muscle is stronger than meat protein based muscle makes me think he's just making stuff up as he goes along. Fat marbling in meat eater's muscle but not a vegan's plant protein based muscle? I'd like to see that "study". I guess that's why all the top weight class athletes like wrestlers,boxers and weightlifters are vegan. Oh, wait a minute, they're not.
  The athlete example you choose for strength, Tony Gonzalez, eats fish five times a week, as well as chicken and turkey. Now, I'm no expert, but I think that makes him a carnivore. I also doubt his teammates are scarfing down mac and cheese (unless it's home-made whole wheat macaroni with real cheese) and eating ice cream sundaes. More likely most of them are eating a healthy,balanced diet that includes lots of meat protein.
  I realize you have your agenda promoting this fringe movement, but let's try to use a little honesty and balance.

Your's Truly;
Etc. Etc.


 I think even vegans will be upset that they cite Tony Gonzalez as an example. He eats fish,chicken or turkey every day, which makes him NOT A VEGAN, so don't pretend he is one! He also supplements with meat based protein powder. Men's Journal, by lying, inadvertently  makes the point that you can't play in the NFL if you are a vegan.
  Ultrarunning Hero Scott Jurek is also featured in the article, there's a full page photo of him just wearing shorts. I don't know too many people, other than a few serious ultra runners or road marathoners, who would want to look as skeletal as Jurker does in this photo. His daily menu looks like a science experiment, trying to balance this and that with oils, supplements,vitamins, extracts etc. How can that even be considered as food? I think a body shape more like this guy or this guy is a lot healthier and more like what nature intended.
  But hey, live and let live. Some of my friends are real vegans (most of the time, but, like us Paleo types  they slip up every once in a while).To each his, or her, own, I say. Just don't lie to me to try and make a point.

P.S.- Here's a blog post by Debbie Schlussel, a conservative political commentator, radio talk show host, columnist, and attorney who beat me to it and did a better job of calling "Bullshit!" She says Tony Gonzalez is eating a lot more meat than what Men's Journal claims. Over 1,000 calories of broiled salmon every night.What a joke of a magazine Men's Journal has become! I still love the gadget issues,though.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, my diet consists only of red meat and beer, but if Tony Gonzales is a vegan than so am I. Maybe now that I'm a vegan I can score with some of the weirdo college chicks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, speaking of colleges,the Pylons are going to invade Ohio in November, we hope and pray the the Wolverines continue on their rampage for a national title, as I have the hat, the shirt, the jacket, etc. I will wear my Michigan shirt,then, when they get all huffy, explain I don't really follow NCAA football, it was on sale, I needed a shirt......

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw some of their game against UMass today, I wouldn't expect a national title...

    ReplyDelete