Zion Canyon 2011

Zion Canyon 2011
Zion Revisited 2011

How To Approach an Ultra or Ironman

Jordan Rapp quote sums it up!

This Jordan Rapp quote sums it up.
"It's about the process. It doesn't matter what you do tomorrow and it doesn't matter what you did yesterday. It's about today, and making today count. That's especially true in training, but it's the same mentality that I carry into racing. Focus on the task at hand, not on the finish line, or the next part of the race, but what it is that is right there in front of you in the moment."





Sunday, May 2, 2010

Sporting Life 10k Toronto May 2, 2010

39:14!
 That was fun. A new PB by 2 and a half minutes at age 52. My previous PB for 10k was 41:45 in the same race 6 years and 30lbs ago. It's all about the caveman diet. I couldn't have run it any harder, I had absolutely nothing left at the end. Coming down the home stretch, I felt like those Apollo astronauts on re-entry. A little snap here, pop from the hamstring, pull from the achillies, a cramp feeling like it's starting in the calf. Just hold on! I knew I was going to be under my goal of 40:00, so I went as fast as I could while also ensuring I would finish....
   I started near the front, so I only had 9 seconds difference between my chip time and my gun time, which was 39:23.Of course the chip time is the one I'll use. I came 6/378 in my age, 220th overall out of 11,000+ runners. 
   I ran home from the race as well, Lakeshore over to the Don River and up the bike path, adding 1:20, to give me a 2 hour run day.


 My splits were 1k-3:57(3:57), 2k-3:47(7:45), 3K-3:45 (11:29), 4k-3:50 (15:20),  5K-3:58 (19:18) If the last 5k were marked, I didn't see them. So, 1st 5k-(19:18), last 5k-(19:56) Total-39:14.So you can see I was just hanging on.
 That's probably the last 10k for me, I doubt I'll ever be able to beat that time, everything went perfectly. No slowpokes chatting away taking up half the road, no cramps, perfect weather. I much prefer the Ultras, I think marathon or longer only from now on.
 
It was just too funny to hear my corral called the elites. I could have had a banana, if I didn't know they were full of sugar.Where are the avocados?
The famous "Princes Gates", named after the Artist formally known as Prince, and someone else named Prince. Actually, it's so old, no one remembers who it was named after.
This is the band at the end of the run, they were very good, although they played "Pink Cadillac",which is a really good Bruce Springsteen song, but it's not about a car.

SURPRISE! It's Moonie!!!

  Well how cool is this? Moonshot (a valuable member of the Fat Ass Pylons), showed up at the last minute and ran very well. He was ahead of me, and I yelled at him, "Hey Moonshot, slow down!" And he did,God bless him. Attaboy, Moonie!


(Left) Moonshot. 



On the Right;


The Leaside Ladies on the right, L to R, Kathy, Josie,Terri.Way to go Ladies! Well done, same time next year?
(L to R) Mrs. Digger and  Digger. Very sunny out, where's my cool sunglasses? Next up, a couple of short triathlons, then the 60 miler in Tennessee. Can't wait for that one. Three mountains in three days.

No comments:

Post a Comment