Zion Canyon 2011

Zion Canyon 2011
Zion Revisited 2011

How To Approach an Ultra or Ironman

Jordan Rapp quote sums it up!

This Jordan Rapp quote sums it up.
"It's about the process. It doesn't matter what you do tomorrow and it doesn't matter what you did yesterday. It's about today, and making today count. That's especially true in training, but it's the same mentality that I carry into racing. Focus on the task at hand, not on the finish line, or the next part of the race, but what it is that is right there in front of you in the moment."





Friday, May 6, 2011

The Burger's Priest Review

As you all know, I eat primal(low carb) "religiously" 80% of the time. But the 20% cheat ALWAYS involves Burgers and Beer. So here's my latest cheat.
     I was sitting in the hot tub the other day, reading the North Toronto Post, and they had The Burger's Priest listed as one of The top 100 restaurants in Toronto. It was # 20, in fact, so I had to check it out. It's just down Queen Street East from the catering company where the Boy is working for the summer, so why not drop in? Jesus loves me, this I know, so to check it out, I would surly go.
  Pretty unassuming from the outside, I had driven by it lots of times and never noticed it.
  So the schtick is it's a burger joint run by a priest who got tired of eating at places like "Dangerous Dan's", who serve gigantic burgers that are overcooked tasteless patty bricketts served on a huge bun with some everyday toppings. If you like quality over quantity, "The Burgers Priest" was supposed to be the place.

  I also like my burgers like I like my sermons. Very rare. Acckkk!! Burning for that one.
The Menu. What, No Brewskis?

  Really loud 70's music greeted me on arrival (not that there's anything wrong with that), and 4 small wooden stools stood against the wall, but they were all occupied by people waiting for their orders. Must be good, I thought. So I waited.  I could see the grill behind the cage where the burgers were being prepared, and saw these tiny meat balls on a tray.......
That's actually going to be 5 burgers, not 2. Doh.
At least it looked like a custom meat blend, ground on site, and also looked very fresh. But tiny! I ordered the double & fries, I'm guessing the patties were 4 oz. each. The line moved pretty fast.Total wait was maybe 10 minutes.
My burger, which is in my stomach, hallowe'ed be the name.....
That's the double cheeseburger, half eaten. I could easily have handled 2 of them. Again, I had been fasting for 20 hours. The patties did have a very good taste and texture to them, pretty much perfect as far as that goes, but tiny! The bun was perfect, as far as size and bunny goodness goes. But for $12.50 Canadian, with fries, (which is like $30 U.S.), I expect to be full of burger when I'm done.
  Speaking of fries, these were awesome. I ate most of them before I got home.
Yukon Gold, scarfed half of them plain before I got home.
 And why did I go home? First, and most importantly, the Burger's Priest doesn't serve beer, and any burger this good deserves a beer.And 2nd, there are only 4 spots inside. Not Good.
 Oh well, back to the story.  I got home and opened up the bag.This is what it looked like. Not like the ad, I'm sure.
The cheese melted into the bag. And where did that tall-boy come from?Who stole my fries?
Where have all the toppings gone? Long time passing. Where have all the toppings gone, long time ago? I asked them to drag it through the garden, still a 1/4 burger to go and nothing left but a bit of cheese.
  So that's the Burger's Priest review. Great taste, but very little food for $12.50 CDN(which is the double cheeseburger and fries, no drink). Been there, done that. Got the T-Shirt. Won't be back.
  Anyhow, a solid 6/10 rating,very tasty, however I'm deducting 2 points because it was so expensive. Had this been a sitdown restaurant with beer, well OK. But it's just a walk in-take out joint. I'll give Lick's the nod for value and flavour (and a place to sit) over "The Burger's Priest" any day.
  Or a Digger Burger........
Ground Sirloin, a bit of cumin, salt (at the end, don't mix it in), freshly ground pepper, coriander, oyster sauce(secret ingredient), worchestershire sauce, paprika. Voila. Low GI bun. 10 oz. Digger Burger.
That's a Burger!
Happy 19th Birthday To The Boy! The best son (and sous chef) ever.

Hey, and good luck to Dora, who's racing at the Bear Mtn. N.Y. Championships this weekend, doing the 50 miler. I wish I was there!That looks like a killer course.



'Cause Burgers are a friend of mine..........................

Caution, do not watch the above....... you will not be able to get it out of your head.


2 comments:

  1. If you end up going to Vegas we'll hafta hit In-N-Out for a burger or three...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good! I've never been to the In-N-Out.Not sure about Vegas, it will be 3 or 4 days after the R2R2R-might be tough.

    ReplyDelete