Zion Canyon 2011

Zion Canyon 2011
Zion Revisited 2011

How To Approach an Ultra or Ironman

Jordan Rapp quote sums it up!

This Jordan Rapp quote sums it up.
"It's about the process. It doesn't matter what you do tomorrow and it doesn't matter what you did yesterday. It's about today, and making today count. That's especially true in training, but it's the same mentality that I carry into racing. Focus on the task at hand, not on the finish line, or the next part of the race, but what it is that is right there in front of you in the moment."





Saturday, April 17, 2010

Seaton Trail 52K- I love It When a Plan comes Together

   Let me just say this about that. I have never had a plan work out like it did today. The Seaton Trail in Pickering Ontario is a perfect 52k race to practice pacing, it's 13k out and 13k back, repeat. Almost every race, (except Moab!) I get passed in the second half by people I passed in the first half.
  Today, I got passed early by people that I normally would have chased down immediately. But I stuck to the plan.
So here are my splits, I rounded #2 & #3 off to take into account my 2 minute refuelling pit stop@ 26k;
13k out-1:25:21
13k back-1:24:40
13k out-1:26:35
13k back-1:26:09

Total-5:42:46    1st half- 2:50:01       2nd half- 2:52:44
I'm guessing I passed 10-20 people in the 2nd half of the race, some of them were 50 milers though. One snot nosed kid about 25 years old passed me at about 50k. Prick.     Just kidding. Nice guy.
Quite a day weather wise, we ran in sun, rain,sun,snow,rain,sun,rain,sun all day.

Please scroll down.


  Anyhow, time for the slide show.
 Swiss arrives in style via the Pimpcedes.Where's Dora?How does this guy afford this car after paying for two weddings in the last year? Inquiring minds want to know. When Swiss left home for this race, there was a blizzard going on.


Looooking gooood!. Where the women at?

Captain flies by at a high rate of speed thus wrecking  the photograph.
 Swiss does the same thing. Action Photo! It looks like he has skinny green arms, but he doesn't. They are very big, tanned and hairy. Like a Sasquatch,sorta.
Great shot of my thumb while I stand in the middle of a river crossing. Volunteers on the bank thought I was maybe retarded. They might be on to something.

 Oops, I did it again.Same river, different crossing,same thumb,other view.

 Whadda Ya mean these are your Vespas Captain? I swear I brought them. Anyhow, that's me at the 26k turn.
A field of trilliams! Awwwwwwwwwwwww, I should come back later and steal some of these for the garden.


 The photo below is a hill, or at least what the FAP's would have called a hill a couple of years ago. The FAP's say,after Moab, Escarpment,etc.  that this doesn't count as a hill any more!

Here's a shot(above) I took of Laurie McGrath, the 50 mile winner. I pulled over and pulled out the camera, and she yelled "What are you doing? It's a race!"
Captain's time, I believe was 2:36 for the 26k, and Swiss was definitely under 3:00. I'm not sure of his exact time, I will update ASAP.(Whoops, looks like Swiss followed someone he shouldn't have and went off course on the way back, finished just over 3 hours). Stoopid Seaton Trail with no stoopid 60+ age category for Swiss. And no 50+ for the Captain and me.Why should we have to compete with kids in their mid to late 40's? Seaton Trail Mudpuppies Unfair to Old People!!! (Just kidding, great race,many thanks to the RD's and all the volunteers). The shirts were actually pretty good this year, and the medals were shaped like dogs.which is nice.
  Next up for me is a sub 40 minute 10k on May 2nd. It's in the bag. What could possibly go wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment