Zion Canyon 2011

Zion Canyon 2011
Zion Revisited 2011

How To Approach an Ultra or Ironman

Jordan Rapp quote sums it up!

This Jordan Rapp quote sums it up.
"It's about the process. It doesn't matter what you do tomorrow and it doesn't matter what you did yesterday. It's about today, and making today count. That's especially true in training, but it's the same mentality that I carry into racing. Focus on the task at hand, not on the finish line, or the next part of the race, but what it is that is right there in front of you in the moment."





Friday, July 22, 2011

Hottest Day of the Year So Far. Long Run. What could go wrong?

Clearly, I overestimated my ability to run in the heat. I took 2X 20 0z. water bottles and off I headed to the ravine.Beaver had invited me out for a 6:30 am run, but I was unable to go that early because of work.

    I slept 'till noon and didn't leave the house until 1:00p.m. It was kind of like running in a bowl of soup outside, just over 100˚F and feeling like 122˚F (37˚C feeling like 50˚C) with the humidity.
  So out I headed at what was probably the peak daytime temperature.I think you can see where this is headed.
 After 40 minutes of fairly decent running, I felt like my shirt was really heating up. Weird. It was soaked with sweat, and I guess the sun heated it higher than my body temperature. I felt my arm and it felt hot to me. 10 minutes later, I got that familiar dizzy feeling which tells me I better stop or I'm going down. I started walking, then recovered enough to do a slow run/walk back home. All in all, 1:40 on my feet and some decent heat training as well. I'll try an hour today, and then do a long run on Sunday when it's s'posed to be a bit cooler with a chance of rain.



No comments:

Post a Comment