Zion Canyon 2011

Zion Canyon 2011
Zion Revisited 2011

How To Approach an Ultra or Ironman

Jordan Rapp quote sums it up!

This Jordan Rapp quote sums it up.
"It's about the process. It doesn't matter what you do tomorrow and it doesn't matter what you did yesterday. It's about today, and making today count. That's especially true in training, but it's the same mentality that I carry into racing. Focus on the task at hand, not on the finish line, or the next part of the race, but what it is that is right there in front of you in the moment."





Monday, January 24, 2011

My Regular 10.6 k Cemetery Tempo Run

  I have a nice 10.6 K loop I do in the Mt. Pleasant Cemetery when the ravine is to snowed in or too muddy. They keep the roads runnable, even during a heavy snowfall. The best thing about it is you aren't on a treadmill. The worst thing about it is you're on a road. At least it's outdoors. I can wear my iPod, since I don't have to worry about getting hit by mountain bikes or being attacked by unleashed aggressive dogs.
 

This is the Bayview Entrance to Mt. Pleasant. Rest assured, they still have space.

No Dogs, No Rollerblades, No Speeding on Your Bike.
The cemetery is world famous for it's huge variety of trees. Also, many formerly rich and powerful people are buried there,like the Eatons, the Westons,and now the Thomsons. Medical pioneers Frederick Banting and Charles Best, (co-discoverers of insulin) sports stars like Charlie Conacher, Foster Hewitt,Punch Imlach and many more. And lots of the best kind of politicians.You can read all about them here if you are really bored someday. But seriously, it's pretty interesting if you spend a lot of time in there.
They usually keep the roads clear and runnable
The cemetery run is not a bad plan "B". I always enjoy making clever puns out of some of the funny names you see on the tombstones.
Does Calvin Know About This?

This Guy Owned a Tire Company

What's The Deal With Airline Food? That's how This Guy Made His Millions.

Running Under Mt. Pleasant Road

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

William Lyon MacKenzie King, the longest serving Prime Minister of Canada. Not to be confused with  William Lyon Mackenzie , the 1st Mayor of Toronto. It always confused me!

If I Had A Dog, I'd Name Him Staines

People Are Dieing to Get In Here, Unfortunately there is a Lot of Stiff Competition for the Plots.

Men of This Caliber are Hard to find

New Home Of Canada's Richest Man Ever, Ken Thomson

The Yonge St. Entrance
Now here are 3 sad stories I pass by on my run.The first one is "The Children's Garden". I can't imagine losing a child, and there is a section reserved for them.

First, "The Children's Garden."
 Sad story # 2. Neil Peart is the drummer for the world famous Canadian band "Rush."  In 1997 his 19 year old daughter died in a car crash. Ten months later, his wife died of Cancer.

A stunning monument for Neil Peart's Wife and Daughter
The detail is amazing, it has a glass prism on top.

The Prism

Next up, we have the sad monument of a young mother (who was also a psychiatrist) who jumped in front of a subway train with her 6 Month Old baby in her arms. Here's the story.



And now for the ridiculous. Steve Stavro owned a grocery store and did very well for himself, eventually being able to afford to buy the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Team. Steve was Macedonian, and I guess he fancied himself as a modern day Alexander the Great. Here's his humble monument. Alexander the Great conquered the world, Mr. Stavros, not so much. But you can't take it with you, so why not?

I'm guessing it's 25' tall. It has the "Knob Hill Farms" logo and the Toronto Maple Leafs logo on it.

Coming Down the Home stretch

Here's Charlie Conacher, brother of "The Big Train" , but a fine athlete in his own right. And a fisherman,apparently.



There are many famous people buried in Mt. Pleasant. Captain Fluke isn't one of them.


Ya all-come-brack now, ya hear. Get it?

Looks like O'Born has O'Died


  So I leave the Cemetery after the roughly 8 K loop, then it's sprint past the Captain's house (slow down once out of view), over to the dry cleaners. past the fire hall, around the corner and hammer time for the last 500 meter sprint.

Total Distance-10.6K  Lots of hills.I try and do this tempo run once or twice per week.

PB-45:22 last April, just before my Sporting Life 10K PB in May.

  That's it for now, I could go on, but I've got to go for a run.

Next Up- The Beer & Beef Curling Bonspeil doesn't go so well.

1 comment:

  1. I "ran" across your blog by accident while doing a search on Neil Peart; it came up because of the cemetery piece. I just wanted to let you know I very much enjoyed the tour of the cemetery you offered and the light joviality.

    ReplyDelete