Zion Canyon 2011

Zion Canyon 2011
Zion Revisited 2011

How To Approach an Ultra or Ironman

Jordan Rapp quote sums it up!

This Jordan Rapp quote sums it up.
"It's about the process. It doesn't matter what you do tomorrow and it doesn't matter what you did yesterday. It's about today, and making today count. That's especially true in training, but it's the same mentality that I carry into racing. Focus on the task at hand, not on the finish line, or the next part of the race, but what it is that is right there in front of you in the moment."





Tuesday, November 23, 2010

ONE DAY

That's how long my "Primal Challenge" lasted this time. I fully complied yesterday, nothing but good Caveman Food for 24 hours. It kinda helped that I was at work. For breakfast, our Crossfit Junkie Probie made us all bacon and eggs. Nice. For lunch, I had steak and eggs.Bonus. Hello, ketosis. For dinner, roast beef, spaghetti squash and broccoli. Nothing to drink but coffee and cream.
  I should also mention that last Saturday, I did squats for the first time in 30 years, under the watchful eye of said Crossfit Junkie Probie. He said my form was good. I did 3 sets of 5 @ 105lbs. , which is a warmup for anyone who lifts weights. I was surprised the next morning by the pain in my back, which got progressively worse. By Tuesday, I could barely get out of bed, despite popping Robax like Pez. Stoopid Crossfit, but I must admit, my legs felt great.
  Back to the "Primal Challenge". So I went from 150lbs at Ironman Canada, back to 160lbs at the Bobcat Trail Marathon. This is, I guess, where my body wants to be (homeostasis), since I always wind up there eventually. In my recovery from Bobcat, and after my back injury, I did no exercise and forgot to lay off the beer and went up to 169lbs in 14 days.  OK. So the plan was to "Go Primal" for 30 days and get down to, I don't know, maybe 150lbs. again?

Someone Forgot to Tell Portage I'm Going Caveman Again
So I get home from work this morning, and there's a fridge full of beer, delivered by the Lovely Portage. What am I supposed to do now?
 So I figure, you know, if I eat primally, and start hitting the trails again AND doing the weights and bike, I should be able to drink all that beer and still lose weight. Let's try it and see.
I did 1:11 on the trails today (which was fast and I felt strong and it was warm here) and so I put the first little dent in the beer stockpile.But enough rationalizing for now.
I should also mention that the Pylon's 2011 Event Series is starting to shape up, with a couple more items on the Bucket List ready to be crossed off.
  Bring it on!
 
Just for Fun. This Jacked Up Monster Volkswagon Bug was at the side of road near mile 90 of the bike at Ironman Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment