Zion Canyon 2011

Zion Canyon 2011
Zion Revisited 2011

How To Approach an Ultra or Ironman

Jordan Rapp quote sums it up!

This Jordan Rapp quote sums it up.
"It's about the process. It doesn't matter what you do tomorrow and it doesn't matter what you did yesterday. It's about today, and making today count. That's especially true in training, but it's the same mentality that I carry into racing. Focus on the task at hand, not on the finish line, or the next part of the race, but what it is that is right there in front of you in the moment."

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Group Shot From Tennessee and a Story of a Good/Bad Day

So here's the crew after the Tennessee stage run.That was fun, but it's time to move on.I have Ironman Canada coming up as my next major race, and today was bike/run day.
  The Tour de France was on at 8:30 a.m.this morning and I had the brilliant idea of setting up the trainer and hammering stage 7 on the bike with the boys on the "Tour" while I watched them on T.V. So, by the time I got the kid's breakfast and had the basement properly set up, Lance and the boys are already well into the stage. Only an hour and a half to go, so, like an idiot, I hammer it for 1:30. I wrapped the bike and trainer with towels, and had 2 gallons of ice water to drink. Still, the towels and carpet got soaked, I was sweating like crazy and the basement started to smell like a old jockstrap. Finally the end came and I was dead tired, but it was good!
  So,Caveman that I am, I had a quick swim and ate 4 eggs, drove The Girl to work, then came home and changed into my running gear for a 1:20 loop. It is now about 2:00p.m. Two 20 oz. water bottles, and I'm out the door headed to the ravine. It's the peak temperature of the day, right around 100˚F with the humidex,but hey, I was just in Tennessee.
  I remember the 10 minute road run to the ravine being very hot, and finishing my first bottle of water after 20 minutes.I guess I started feeling dizzy after about 30 minutes. I stopped running fast after 50 minutes when I drained my 2nd bottle, still 20 minutes from home and feeling like I had to puke. I slowed to a walk and started breathing deeply, trying not to faint. I began to feel a little better, but was still concerned about getting home without ambulance assistance. Long story short, I took a shortcut up the hundred stairs, found a water tap near the Leaside arena and soaked my head and filled my bottles. I was now about 10 minutes from home. Walking around the last corner with about 100 yards to go, I saw some people I know so I broke into a run before they saw me. What a phony!
 I didn't go right into the pool as I still felt like passing out and feared drowning.
  I guess I bonked, but it could have been the heat. I had eaten no carbs all day, and a gel or two might have helped. When I stepped on the scale, I had lost 3 lbs. on the run.
 Bike very good, run very bad. Live and learn at age 52, I guess.
Day off tomorrow.

1 comment: